top of page

Also known as Crossing the t's and dotting the i's



Before you may marry in Australia, the law requires that you sign and lodge the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage‘ (NOIM) with an authorised Marriage Celebrant.  This form must be submitted to me, a minimum of one calendar month prior to the wedding date.

You can submit your Notice in person, via fax or mail, but you must bring the original Notice with you when you meet with me.
The NOIM form will remain active for 18 calendar months from the date of submission.

Click here to download a Notice of Intended Marriage

Other important legal aspects -


  • You must be over 18 years of age to marry in Australia.

  • Acceptable identification must included a document with your date and place of birth PLUS photo i.d.
    such as a current passport OR birth certificate plus drivers licence 


  • If you are Australian born you must show your birth certificate in English.


  • If born outside Australia you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth.


  • If either of you have previously been married,  you will have to produce your Divorce orders.


  • If either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate.


  • On the day of your marriage, you must have two witnesses over the age of 18.

  • Prior to your marriage ceremony taking place, you must sign the Declaration of No Legal Impediment (DNLI).


  • Three Marriage certificates – The three Marriage certificates must be signed by all relevant parties at your marriage ceremony.

Other legal stuff that I, as an authorised marriage celebrant, must give you.

You can read it here, or I can send it to you via email, or give you a hard copy at a face to face meeting.

Happily Ever Before and After brochure 

Celebrant's Code of Ethics 

bottom of page